Steps towards bringing a Surfari puppy to your home
- Perform your own extensive research on Portuguese Water Dogs—go over our website, find out about breed characteristics, energy level, grooming, feeding and care. Here are some links to help:
- Contact us! Start a dialog. It is important that we are comfortable with each other. You may call or email. [(916) 753-6447; click here for email] This may be a good time to visit to see our dogs!
- Review the sample puppy contracts. Most of our expectations can be found in these documents. There are both show dog and non-show dog (pet) versions. Feel free to ask questions!
- If after reviewing our website and speaking with us either in person or on the phone, you are interested in working with us and having one of our puppies, please complete our puppy application (online form, or download the printed document and email back to us). This will place you on a waiting list, pending a deposit. Soon after you have completed the puppy application, we will contact you and discuss your application and begin talking about possibilities.
- If both parties agree, and once the puppies arrive, submit a $500 (non-refundable) deposit. A deposit secures your order on our waiting list for new puppies, but it is important to realize other factors may come into play. Every puppy is different, so we try and match the puppy's personality with the new home appropriately. The deposit is only refundable if we determine there is not an appropriate (temperament, sex) puppy available to suit your family's needs.
- An initial visit is required to our home to meet us and visit the puppies. The timing of this visit will vary but will generally be after the puppies are five weeks old.
- A final visit to pick up your puppy.
Lynn and Mike McCallum